LifeThisWay -> -> (Shadow site to www.lifethisway.com)

Just a little blog about LifeThisWay... Hope you enjoy reading with us!

Friday, August 13, 2004

Forgiven - Christian Mobile Media?


I heard about this site in an email newsletter that I get regarding internet evangelism.

Forgiven

I was a bit surprised by the site a first because I was expecting a Christian evangelism site, but it is more of a marketing/$$$$ making site in the name of Christianity.

I personally have a hard time with that. I do not question the beliefs of those who run this company, but I wonder if it is the best idea to try an earn a living off of marketing to Christian youth... (I am trying to work out why this bothers me...)

Maybe because in Jesus' day there were those who saw opportunity to make $$$$ off of those coming to the temple to worship. And we all know what Jesus' reaction was to that.

Now in that particular case, I believe that the people involved were preying upon a need of the people to exploit them by charging unreasonable prices.

I guess it is the age old question of commercialized Christianity. We know that the first church did not operate this way. Is it right for us to do so?

I feel better about charging money to defray the costs of ministry, and I don't have a problem with accepting donations to offset the costs of living in full-time ministry... but is it alright if we focus on leveraging our "Christian" calling to make a buck?

Again, I do not want to disparage this company unjustly, and honestly, it is really not up to me anyway to cast any judgment. I am just working these things out for myself.

What do you think??

P.S. I do like the idea of using new ways to share the Gospel. I think that Mobile Media is the next big thing... (like the internet in the 90's)... and I think that the church can use this media to show people the Love of Jesus Christ.