LifeThisWay -> -> (Shadow site to www.lifethisway.com)

Just a little blog about LifeThisWay... Hope you enjoy reading with us!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

be you... yourself... revolutionary...


Now for a follow-up on yesterday's post. I must say that I am still working through this one. For some reason this article has stirred me up and I believe that is what the author wanted. There is something just not right about it. I am having a hard time putting my finger on it. I think it is the blatant sarcasm present in the second paragraph as the author quotes the "typical traditional Christian".

This is the type of article that is rejected by the mainstream, but eaten up by the loose cannons of the world. I don't want to sound too "traditionally religious" but this message I believe is off. I really find no foundation in it at all, and maybe the author assumes that we understand how it all connects.

I find myself asking the question "Why?" as I come to the conclusion of the article. Why do we need a "complete upheaval of our current Christian practices"? Just for the sake of saying we have done something "revolutionary"?

Jesus was a revolutionary in the purest sense. In the sense that His coming as a human here on earth affected dramatic change or a shift in thinking and practice. But I think what the author was missing is that Jesus came to make new by RENEWAL! Think about that... re...new...re...new.

I do not believe that Jesus walked through His day thinking about how He could shake up the "old ways" to make everything new. Jesus Himself kept the law perfectly (maybe not the traditions, but the law). He is the same yesterday, today, forever. (Again, I don't get what the author is trying to get at...)

Maybe the author is one of those people who thinks that he must FEEL like he is on the edge in order for his Christian walk to be valid. (I am grasping at straws here...) But can't you find that edge wherever you are? Isn't it about being where God has called you and doing your best for Him in that place?

Yes, be a revolutionary if need be, but first and foremost... be yourself. Isn't that revolutionary enough?

So, there you have it. My thought on the matter. Again, maybe I am totally misunderstanding this article, or maybe it IS just a shameless plug so you will buy the author's books listed in his bio. I guess I will just leave it at that.

If you have more insight, let me know.

God bless!